From Enterprise IT Services Helpdesk
What is SkyDrive?
SkyDrive is a service provided by Microsoft for online file storage and sharing, as well as the creation of Office documents online. Account owners may upload files (up to 50 megabytes in size per file, with a 25 gigabyte quota) via the web interface or via third-party programs and create Powerpoint, Excel, Word, and OneNote files. These files may linked to individuals via web address, email, embedded into a web page, or shared through the SkyDrive interface. This is only an additional service available with Live; EITS does not officially support this service.
- 7 or 25 gigabytes worth of file storage
- Share files directly with other SkyDrive users
- Create Office Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, OneNote notebooks, and Powerpoint presentations via the web.
- Easily email and send links to uploaded files
- Comment on friend's photos
- Tag pictures of friends and colleagues
- Publish Microsoft Office documents directly to your SkyDrive.
- Collaborate with others in document editing.
- Upload entire folders worth of documents and images via the web interface.
- Password protect files
- Create groups
- Calendar/Event Integration
- Cloud sync--keep up to date copies of each file in your SkyDrive across multiple devices!
April 2012 SkyDrive Improvements
Microsoft is improving the SkyDrive, placing it in par with cloud file storage services such as Dropbox:
- Introduction of Android, iOS (iPhone/iPad), and Windows Mobile apps are now available for mobile synchronization with the cloud.
- Mac OS X app is now available
- New Windows 7 App integrates Live Mesh functionality, syncing to your local drive and integrating with Windows Explorer.
- A change in storage limits. By default, new users will get 7GB of free storage instead of the previous 25GB. If you already have SkyDrive, please click here to keep the 25GB you already had.
- Windows 8 will offer even more integration with SkyDrive when it ships later this year.
How Do I Access SkyDrive?
- Once logged into the new UGAMail, select SkyDrive from the "More" menu.
- Select a new document to create from the "Office" menu.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please note: EITS does not officially support this service.
Can you use sky drive from any of the IMAP clients or as a network drive?
- No. It is a web-only client right now. There are 3rd-party tools that will allow you to map folders in Windows Explorer, but these are not formally support by Microsoft due to security concerns. You can edit and save documents directly to SkyDrive from the Office Suite (2007 or later only).
What is my SkyDrive quota?
- SkyDrive allows up to 25 gigabytes worth of storage space.
Does SkyDrive count against email quota (10GB)?
- No, each service has its own separate quota.